Sunday, September 12, 2010

Preventative Maintenance

Preventative Maintenance
09-12-10

  I have always thought that keeping my rig in good operating order is very important to the over all well being of the truck.  Unfortunately it's alot easier said than done.  Now days with gas at such a high rate, it's all I can do just to keep the Blazer running, so buying stuff it doesn't necessarily need is pretty tough. 
  There comes a time when you have to justify buying parts, and sometimes you can't.  My Blazer has a funny life.  It spends the majority of it's time sitting, uncovered next to my dads shop.  Of the time it spends running, I'd say about 70% is on the street, and the other 30% is on the trail.  Those are the grim facts.
Lately, the old girl has been running pretty rough.  I ran her pretty low on fuel and think it might have sucked some crap from the bottom of the gas tank.  It went from driving very smooth to idling rough and not wanting to idle at all at a dead stop.  Also, in the last few drives I have noticed that when I open up my secondaries, I don't get much extra power.  That sucks. 
 

Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Winter Test for the K5

First Winter Test for the K5
Sun Jan 31, 2010











Since we got a pretty nice (ice free) blanket of snow i decided to see what the blazer would do. I drove it from the shop to the gas station in Oronogo and got some fuel, then headed back. I was pleasantly surprised on how well it did on the road and in the field coming out of the shop. I don't have the 4 bolts it takes to attach the d-shaft to the front output on the t-case so I was only powered by the two rear wheels, (mini-spool rear). I was expecting it to be squirrely and hard to drive, but it was really easy and did awesome. If I gassed it hard it would try to fishtail, but all I had to do is let off the gas and it righted itself.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stone Crusher Steering upgrade

The setup I had was far from any stock dimensions, and I was given a really crappy draglink/tie-rod setup with one of the Danas I had bought for a inner axle shaft. it was good for a reference and to test things out but I needed the real deal. The "real deal" was found in the back of a Bronco Driver magazine as an ad for Stone Crusher Steering! I called them up and a guy named Anthony answered. He was really happy to hear about my truck and was certain he could fix me up. He asked me for some specific measurments that were easy to get so the order was placed.