New Gears for the Dana 44
(This is not intended to be a tech. write-up, it is just a generalized account of the gear install.)
Good Friday was a good day indeed. I had a day off of work with the total use of the shop. I conned a guy I work with into helping set some new gears into my front axle. Although Rob is a Mopar guy, (I don't hold that against him) he was willing and more than able to complete the task. We both were new at installing gears in a Dana 44, although Rob had set up other axle types. Armed with the instruction sheets that came from the master bearing kit and the gear set from Randy's Ring & Pinion along with the Bella Vista write up, we were able to figure it out nicely.
It all started with a bare housing. I cleaned it up as much as I could (it actually could have been a bit cleaner) using WD40 and a bunch of old rags. One thing to watch out for in the cleaning process is the edges of the bearing races within the case. I found out the bloody way that the pinion race edges are sharp. About the time both hands were cut I gave up and called it good.